Several reasons can make a lactating parent pumping breast milk. I listed a few common and less common reasons here.
- Increasing the production of milk.
- The baby is not latching or not transferring the milk (premature baby...)
- To allow the nipples to rest when they are damaged and too sore
- By choice (exclusively pumping...)
- To allow someone else to feed the baby
- To have extra supply in the freezer in case of an emergency
- To keep up milk supply and provide milk for baby when away for work or a trip...
- To mix with solid food when baby is old enough to start solids
- To induce lactation or relactate
- To donate (milk bank)
Pumping can be challenging, complicated and time consuming. Families deserve good support during that challenging time.